The Long Story:
Once upon a time I was a precocious kid who wanted two things: to be an actress and to share my story. I’d hold my hairbrush as a microphone and give pretend interviews. Yes- my vanity knew no bounds.
Fast forward a few years. I studied Theater (Acting) and Telecommunications (TV/Film Production) at Pepperdine University in Malibu, California. And because I’ve always enjoyed pondering the meaning of life, I opted to throw Philosophy and World Religions into the mix as well. While studying abroad in Germany, London, and Scotland, I got bit by the travel bug. And yep- I’m still paying off a lifetime supply of student loans.
Eventually fulfilling another childhood dream of moving to the Big Apple (by way of ten months in Japan… another long story), I hit the pavement and pursued the audition-by-day-bartend-by-night lifestyle. With a lot of persistence and a bit of luck, I managed to convince a few people to hire me in roles for television, film, commercials, and Broadway.
During this time I also became certified as a Holistic Health Coach.
Then one day, while running in Central Park, I realized I wasn’t satisfied with the story of my life thus far.
So I decided to take matters into my own hands and do something about it. I didn’t have a clue what I wanted, but I was absolutely sure I didn’t want to waste another minute letting the world write my story for me.
Over the past year I’ve traveled to Europe, Central America, and Southeast Asia. I’ve started (and revamped and revamped again) this website. I’ve made it my personal quest to reflect back to the world the possibilities of what could be.
But, by far, the best part of this journey has been the incredible people I’ve been so fortunate to encounter along the way. People with inspiring stories. People who have forever altered my story.
And I discovered that although these fine folks were doing amazing things, many of them were uncomfortable sharing their stories with the world, specifically when it came to public speaking on stage or on camera. So I’d offer my advice. They were thrilled. And a business of helping people share their stories was born!
The Abridged Version:
I like to think of myself as an actress, writer, travel enthusiast, public speaking/on-camera consultant, occasional movie-maker, and chaser of good stories.
Mostly I’m passionate about living a life full of adventures with people I love, and helping others to do the same.
Previous incarnations have included: Acting on Broadway and television, doubling for celebrities, encouraging a plant-based diet as a certified holistic health coach, and serving more drinks behind the bar than I care to admit.
The Blooper Reel:
- I am prone to laughing fits. They are known to be contagious.
- I am also prone to crying fits. I like to think that’s because I’m a Pisces. We’re emotional like that.
- I once lived in Nagasaki, Japan singing with a Big Band in a “town” that was a brick-for-brick replica of Holland’s Utrecht. No, I’m not joking.
- I love puzzles but I hate board games.
- I have a few habits that I like to think are charming but most people find annoying: getting lost, speaking quickly, and overusing exclamation marks!!!
- I’m in MENSA and have 20/20 vision. It all goes downhill from there for me.
- I have a mild obsession with watching TED Talks online.
- I used to say I had no desire to run a marathon. After running a half-marathon in Bangkok, I’ve changed my tune.
- This bio will likely change weekly. Because that’s how I roll.
Oh, and when I listen to music I create music videos in my head:
What’s that you say? You want to know what else I’m up to? Rad!
You can find out more about Guest Posts, Interviews, consulting gigs and more here.
Let’s be friends:
YouTube Channel: Monica McCarthy